Monday, July 13, 2009

Looking Up and Getting Through

It seems like last November (just a few days before Thanksgiving) things changed for us dramatically. We had it in our minds that we had secured a non-deployable spot in Georgia at Fort Benning and then the carpet was pulled out from under us. To be quite honest I got really mad because MY plans had been changed and my world had been turned upside down. I then came to the conclusion this wasn't going away and tried to deal with it. I am not saying that I don't still have moments of "mad" but I have a peace. We went into a season of so many changes and uncertainties and all we had was each other and some really great friends who I don't think were in our lives accidentally! I found a blog that I started reading somewhat on a whim and it's now on the side of my blog. It's called The Point. I kept going back to it because Leah, the blog's author, writes using a lot of scripture. The scriptures she was using were speaking to me unlike ever before. I have found some that I'm writing here that are keeping me peaceful and hopeful right now. Maybe they will mean something to someone else as well.

Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails. Proverbs 19:21
I am praying that there are reasons why we are at Fort Lewis and that they will be revealed to us. I am certain there is a reason and we don't know those reasons just yet. I feel good about being here and love that we already have somewhat of a life here since Andy will be leaving shortly. KC and Dan have been wonderful friends and so have our new neighbors. The church we are at is a really good fit and I'm excited about that too.

Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge. Psalm 62:8
This was a verse I held onto when Andy was in Korea. I love to see God as my refuge...the place I can go and just be held. I hate that when everything in my life is going so well, I forget that I still need to hold fast to this concept. Maybe that is one perk of hard times or uncertain times. We have to trust during those times. We aren't in control!

...because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. 1 John 4:4
The world isn't going to be here at night when I'm lonely or in Iraq when Andy is lonely.

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 2 Peter 5:7 This should be obvious if you know me. :)

In all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:37-39
This is going to be my verse for this deployment.

10 comments:

Huse Yo Mama said...

I feel like I need to say "AMEN!" So..... AMEN!!!

Leah Adams said...

A growing faith is a beautiful thing to behold and your faith is beautiful. We truly serve an awesome God who is also our Abba, our Daddy and He will hold you and your family in the coming months in the palm of His mighty hand. You will be in my prayers.

Leah

The Medcalfs said...

I needed this today...thank you...Aunt Janet

amy said...

You are so strong! I'm glad that you have found peace. I will pray that you guys have as smooth a transition as possible.

Kristen said...

You are AWESOME Alyssa! I can't think of a better word...I like numbers not words as you know!!! I'm so blessed to have you as a friend!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for reminding me that I am only as strong as I let HIM be in Me. You inspire us all to be strong....

Love you all, MOM

Riann said...

Wonderful post... one I may look back on frequently. Thanks, Alyssa!

Our Life Version 6.0 said...

Thanks for those verses and for sharing your heart!

Erin said...

That's my girl Alyssa--always reminding me that there is something bigger than myself.

KCR said...

I'm with Rachel..."AMEN!" Great post Alyssa, you are awesome!