I got her up, changed her diaper, she started to play, and I headed to the kitchen to make the oatmeal. She hadn't followed me to get her milk, so I came back to her room to get her. She's sitting at the computer drawing on the desk with, are you ready, a permanent Sharpie. The complete long drawer was covered with black. I didn't say anything because I didn't know what would come out...I think she could tell I was different because fire may have come out of my nose and ears. But it is just a desk. I raced to the phone and called Erin to see if there is any way to get it out. She googles it and discovers to try toothpaste and scrub, scrub, scrub. Totally worked. Minutes later the black marker was gone. In case you have a similar situation, try this. Here's a picture of the desk restored. I have removed the markers from the desk drawer and there is now a permanent baby gate in the doorway. Tip: it works best scrubbing against the grain of the wood.
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
It Could Happen To You
There's this section in Parents magazine where parents write in and reveal their "not so smart" moments or things they never thought would happen as a warning to other parents. I had one of those moments this morning minutes after Kinsey was awake. So I'm sharing my "not so smart" moment with you so if it does happen, you'll know what to do.
I got her up, changed her diaper, she started to play, and I headed to the kitchen to make the oatmeal. She hadn't followed me to get her milk, so I came back to her room to get her. She's sitting at the computer drawing on the desk with, are you ready, a permanent Sharpie. The complete long drawer was covered with black. I didn't say anything because I didn't know what would come out...I think she could tell I was different because fire may have come out of my nose and ears. But it is just a desk. I raced to the phone and called Erin to see if there is any way to get it out. She googles it and discovers to try toothpaste and scrub, scrub, scrub. Totally worked. Minutes later the black marker was gone. In case you have a similar situation, try this. Here's a picture of the desk restored. I have removed the markers from the desk drawer and there is now a permanent baby gate in the doorway. Tip: it works best scrubbing against the grain of the wood.
I got her up, changed her diaper, she started to play, and I headed to the kitchen to make the oatmeal. She hadn't followed me to get her milk, so I came back to her room to get her. She's sitting at the computer drawing on the desk with, are you ready, a permanent Sharpie. The complete long drawer was covered with black. I didn't say anything because I didn't know what would come out...I think she could tell I was different because fire may have come out of my nose and ears. But it is just a desk. I raced to the phone and called Erin to see if there is any way to get it out. She googles it and discovers to try toothpaste and scrub, scrub, scrub. Totally worked. Minutes later the black marker was gone. In case you have a similar situation, try this. Here's a picture of the desk restored. I have removed the markers from the desk drawer and there is now a permanent baby gate in the doorway. Tip: it works best scrubbing against the grain of the wood.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Wow, amazing you got it out! Toothpaste is a miracle worker! Thanks for feeling sorry for our cat and our cat situation =). I've had lots of people e-mail their sorry's, but no offer to keep him just yet. We still have two more weeks, my hopes are high =). Thanks for your prayers!
Thanks for that tidbit! I am sure I will need that soon... oh man, you have more control then me, I probably would have let out a high pitch scream or something. This parenting thing really works on patience huh? And temper control... God knows I need work on both of those. Great post!!!
WoW Alyssa,
Fast thinking, & great work !!
Love you,
Aunt helen
Toothpaste, huh? Interesting! You know what I would have done? Spraypainted the desk. :-) Surprise, surprise.
Toothpaste is going on the list for the next commissary trip. I'm amazed that the desk shows absolutely no sign of a run in with a sharpie! Very good work!
Arrggh! It is crazy the things they do and how fast they can do it in (maybe I should go check on mine right now!). Congrats on getting the pen out and saving the desk!
That is too funny. I'm impressed you held your tongue. I don't know if I could do that. That's awesome that the toothpaste actually worked. Sorry I haven't called you back yet. I've been so busy. I had games on Monday, tuesday, today, and I will have games on Friday and Saturday. So yea, I'm staying busy. :)
Post a Comment