Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I'm turning in my cape

Not that I have pretended to be or think I have it altogether, but I am taking off my superwoman cape and I'm not going to fool myself that I have all of this under control. All of this meaning: selling a house, packing a house, having a baby, driving to WA, getting settled, you name it! Thank goodness I don't have to do it alone and Andy and I are going through all of this together. I am trying a new motto this week: one thing at a time. This pregnancy has been SO different than when I was pregnant with Kinsey. With her, everything was so easy, so happy, complete contentment; it was just about the pregnancy. Since we found out we were pregnant, it has been one thing after the other. I learned when Andy got his assignment to Korea early on in his military career that I was not in control of things when it comes to his job in the Army; I have to sit back and go with the flow. That was a great lesson. It was also a pretty great year and I felt very blessed while he was gone by the people around me. I think the time was good for us and we both grew closer together even though we were so far apart. So this week and moving forward, I'm going to look at this week and only this week and one thing at a time. This week I'm working on packing boxes and a hospital bag. I'm not thinking about when we get to WA or his deployment. We aren't buying much for the baby while in San Antonio, so I don't have a nursery to go sit in and imagine her being here sleeping in her crib, etc. I have bought a few little things (baby bag, clothes, etc.) and we've gotten a few gifts, which has been exciting and more on a happy note. We really can't wait to meet her and are very excited about the day approaching of her birth! I feel like very few people truly understand how I feel other than Andy but thankfully I have Erin to talk with; she hasn't stopped answering my phone calls so I think she hasn't gotten tired of me just yet. I know where to turn and I know where my strength comes from, so it gets old when people tell me the "silver lining" in all of this. Thankfully we have a healthy baby (as far as we know) on the way. We have a wonderful daughter already, whom we enjoy every day! Andy has a great job that we can count on and don't have to worry about the next paycheck. All in all, I needed a place to rant. If you've made it to this part of the post, thanks for listening. I feel a little bit better now! :) Just needed to get this off my chest.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leave it to you Alyssa! Even your rantings are done with a touch of class. Kinsey and little babe have such a great role model in you. Even when you may feel that you don't have it all together, you really keep your cool and your kids will benefit from that. Girl, I could learn from you!!

Anonymous said...

Praying for you & all this transition stuff, sweetie.

I luv you,
aunt helen

p.s. if God be for us, he's more than the world, against us.

Rebecca said...

I am RIGHT there with ya, girl! The moving, selling the house, gettin a new one, the baby on the way, the toddler... and while it doesn't get easier, the one day/week at a time thing is what gets me through it too!

Are you packing your own boxes instead of waiting for the movers? I am being lazy and having them do everything even though I know I should do some to prevent possible breakage.

The Fortenberrys said...

I am packing right now as a matter of fact. I was in the middle of packing this afternoon when I got a twenty minute notice that we had a showing. The great news was while we were already out, we got another showing immediately after the first one. :) I'm packing as much as I can now so when the baby's born we can just focus on her and then pack up the truck. Crazy stuff huh?! How is Christian handling all your showings?

Our Life Version 6.0 said...

I'm thinking about ya and can't wait to see pics of that new baby girl when she is here!

The Medcalfs said...

Alyssa-I am learning to take one moment at a time too. I talk to Jesus a lot. :-)
He is my strength.
You, Andy and Kinsey & baby girl are in my thoughts and prayers.
Take a deep breath. You are doing awesome!!
Love you Aunt Janet

Huse Yo Mama said...

Alyssa, your rant sounds like the delivery of just one of my daily updates.

I'm glad you have Erin too!!!

Paige and Russ Atkins said...

I knew when you said "rant" it would be the sweetest rant ever written. Ha!

I do have two little babies & we're planning our move, but I can't imagine adding a house for sale, showings and a deployment on top of that. I know Russ is coming home from work to help me when I'm tired....I am luck y for that. I think you are smart to take it one moment at a time. That is all you could possibly do as many moments that are happening! You are right about the cape!


I'm glad you have found a very genuine friend in Erin. That makes life a bit easier sometimes!

Thank goodness for Sonic coke! :)

Kallie said...

Oh my friend! I wish that I could take some of those burdens for you...

You are a strong godly woman...and you will get through this! Right now I'm praying that your house sells. Today! Then that would be one less thing on your overfilled plate!

May God give you joy today in the middle of everything!

Rebecca said...

Christian is handling everything fine mainly because nothing really has changed around here except that he wonders why i am finding myself frantically cleaning his toys up at odd hours in the day (showings). I am trying to be calm with this move too but somedays are better than others... Of course it would be nice to have Steve here, but we deal with the cards given, right? My mom is coming next week to help out (aka live-in nanny) so I can do the last minute details without a toddler in tow. I will pray your house sells. Ours is still on the market too!

Anonymous said...

First, don't turn on that cape just yet, you will have many more times to wear it. You will learn to wear it like a badge of honor. Remember that God made women especially strong to handle many things at one time and special men to adore those women...just like Andy adores you. You are a gift to everyone who knows and loves you! We can't wait to meet our new graddaughter! Love ya, Mom and Dad

Uma and Wil said...

Good luck with everything Alyssa! You are being so good with packing. The first time we PCS, I was like you packing everything away and made life really easy for the movers. The second time I learned and barely changed out of my pjs to help them, although I wish I knew how different the German moving crew would be from the American. Unpacking boxes and using a dictionary to find out what's actually in it was also fun.

Anna said...

Alyssa,
Wow! Those hormones are kickin'in!
You are a rock! And from your Mom and Dad's comment, seems like you may have gotten that from them. :)
I am feeling your pain Sister! I just counted that we have had 12 different addresses in less than 12 years of marriage....with 2 kids in the mix. We moved while I was pregnant with both. You can do this! It ain't even close to being easy, but you will make it.
You and Andy will look back at this time and laugh with your girls...what a memory it will be!
"The more impossible the situation the greater the deliverance."
I will listen to you anytime and if you want me to not talk and just listen....I can do that!
Love Ya!
Candace

Anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.