This question I think I've been asked more than "Why do you swaddle?" I know things are different now than they used to be. I know things worked for moms like when my mom was a new mother but I really like doing things the way this generation of new moms does them, not that there's anything wrong with how my mom's generation of new mothers mothered. Here is the latest on babies drinking water and maybe coming from a reliable source it will help new mothers answer why we don't give water to our babies. This is taken word for word from the September 2008 Parents magazine.
Don't give extra water to infants younger than 6 months and don't give more than six ounces a day to babies between 6 and 12 months of age. Water triggers babies' immature kidneys to flush away sodium, which can disrupt normal brain activity and cause a seizure, explains Jennifer Anders, M.D., a pediatrician at Johns Hopkins Children's Center, in Baltimore. "The smaller the baby, the smaller the amount of water it takes to do harm," she says. The best way to hydrate a thirsty baby is with breast milk or formula--and you should never dilute formula with extra water.
I like reading articles like this because I know why I've done things the way I have but I like having an educated response (not that I need to explain myself). The only response I've had was, "because she doesn't need it. Everything she needs is in my milk." I like to read books and talk to friends and our pediatrician so I know WHY I do things the way I do them and which is best for our baby. I feel I'm really lucky that I have so many friends who are journeying through parenthood along with Andy and me to whom I may ask questions. I feel we have had great support and encouragement from those people and so this is me saying THANKS!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
oh, your well-formed sentences just make me happy, Alyssa.
Thank you for this. I am so tired of explaining that to everyone. It's like everyone forgets how much water dilutes you! And, babies do not need dilution, I'm pretty sure! Hello electrolye imbalance!
We are very blessed to have others to answer the same questions we wonder about daily too! Thanks to you as well!
THANK YOU!!!! seriously...what is the deal with some people thinking that babies NEED water? I'm super glad that now I have an educated answer to give as to why I don't want my baby having any! Thanks!
Post a Comment