Saturday, July 10, 2010

This Journey


I can't believe we're coming to the end of this....weeks left instead of months. As I look back to that day that he left in September, I remember how heartbroken I was. I'm not sure I have ever felt so hopeless in all my life. This year has brought about so many different emotions and situations to deal with than I could have ever expected. Not to take anything away from anyone who has been through this before but this is definitely different with children. To watch your child have a breakdown because she wants her Daddy is pretty much...well, just heartbreaking! We've now had a year apart without kids and now one with kids and so I'm just comparing the two.

Right now I feel wiped out...I am ready to have our life back. I feel drained, empty, tired. There is just nothing left I have to give. I wish I could say that I have had a year of spiritual growth but instead I have questioned more spiritual things this year than ever in my life. There have been some definite ups and downs; I would say "roller coaster" could accurately depict this year. A mom in our MOPS group spoke at the end of the year in May about how she dealt with a very trying situation (she lost her baby at the end of her pregnancy). She said there were times that she couldn't even pray but she knew God was near. While this situation is temporary unlike hers, I have felt that same way. Some of my favorite Bible verses are about God being our refuge and I think years and times like these are especially true of God being our safe place. That's when I get that picture in my head that was in every Sunday school room when I was little with Jesus and the children on his lap. That picture still gives me comfort even as an adult. I am still his child and I think he would greet me the same way...on bended knee with open arms. I believe that this life is a journey and I have hope that my journey will be something that makes God pleased and that in the end when I finish the race, he will say, "well done" but I do wonder what he thinks about how I've done this year...as a Christian, as a wife, and as a mom. I do care what He thinks!

I have definitely learned this year that I could care less what anyone else thinks...I think hard situations help perspective to be put in place about what is important. I don't care if people agree with how I parent or other decisions I make. I only care about making the most of our time together as a family...making the minutes, days, and years count. I feel a relief now that I'm coming around to that way of thinking. I love having this blog because I can write my personal thoughts as well as having an online diary about the girls (especially for friends and family afar to see). There are times that I don't write certain things because of what someone may think. Those days are over. I hope no one is ever offended by anything I write, but I will be writing more freely now.

As we come to the end of this year, I am so excited. I just can't wait to see Andy standing in formation with his coworkers and then being released to come be with us. I absolutely cannot wait to go to the park and have both of us there with the girls or run to the grocery store altogether. I have learned to completely ignore families when we are out, especially on the weekends when most couples are together. But that will soon be over. I definitely have a new respect for single parents and widows!

I won't be posting anything specific about Andy's return beforehand but please stay tuned for a welcome home picture of our little family near the end of summer. Please keep him in your prayers...we want him to stay safe and have a safe return.

7 comments:

Leah Adams said...

Alyssa,

Once again, you and your family are heroes to those of us who live in freedom. Thank you so much for the sacrifices you make so that freedom remains in the US.

I cannot even begin to imagine how difficult the year has been. I pray for you and your family.

Stop by over at The Point and read my post from Thursday the 8th. Perhaps it will speak to you. There is something new for you....after this.....

Love,

leah

Uma and Wil said...

I'm so excited for you and your family and can't wait for those happy reunion pictures! A large box of Klenex goes on the shopping list for next week :).

Beth Lewis said...

Beautifully written; thank you for sharing. You have been such an encouragement to me this past year - it's been uplifting to see you, through your blog, open up about your struggles and your survival by leaning on your relationship w/Christ.
Looking forward to seeing those "finally home" pictures!!!

Anonymous said...

God began preparing this journey - this life for you many years ago. I love that you have been willing to share this difficult part of it with all of us because there have been times when it seemed to be unbearable. For those of us who love and admire you (and your strength in God) we are also grateful to be able to share in your joys. Can't wait for those "He's Home" pictures! Love you all, MOM and DAD

sarah said...

Oh I can't wait for you!!!!
I got tears reading this!
You are a strong woman Alyssa, and even though you may have felt far at times from God-He has still been there closer than ever holding you tight-so glad that He holds us especially when we can't grasp Him.
You're gonna make it girl!!!!
Can't wait to see your sweet little family together!!

The Medcalfs said...

Just reading your blog and going through this last year with you while Andy is gone has had so many ups and downs but you have made it through...thank you for sharing with all of us...love you all...the countdown is getting closer!! :)

Missy said...

Alyssa, your strength absolutely amazes me. I am thankful for you every day that you give up that precious time with Andy so the rest of us can feel a little safer in our freedoms.
I know this year has been so difficult and there is no way that I can even begin to imagine what it is like. A friend of mine recently told me that in order to achieve those mountain top moments, we also have to experience the lows of the valley.

I also wanted to suggest that you have someone else come along that can take pictures of your reunion if at all possible. I had a friend who recently welcomed her husband home after a year and she brought a friend with her to take the pictures so that she could be in the moment, welcome her husband home and not have to worry about trying to capture the memories.

Praying for you.