Do you wear your favorite and most dressy shoes to church? Some Sundays I do and then some Sundays I wear cargo pants with not so dressy shoes. Either way, I usually wear some that I really like. There is a reason that I am asking this.
The last church Andy and I went to in San Antonio did something that was mission-related but has left me wondering what I would've done in the situation. You see, we weren't there the week this happened. The pastor, during his message, asked the congration to donate the shoes off of their feet for people in need. Well at the time I was pretty far along in my pregnancy and I would have been wearing the most comfortable shoes I owned which I wore everywhere everyday, so I'm not sure I would've given them up. They can't be bought anymore and so I would've rathered given a donation to go towards a new pair of shoes for someone...but that's not what was asked. I'm still wondering what I would've done. Would I have been one of the few that left the church with my shoes on or would I have given them up? Also, what peer pressure this is. Is this good or bad? Just wondering your thoughts. Please comment if you have an opinion and feel free to do so anonymously. I really want to know what you think.

14 comments:
I'm going to go ahead and say it "out loud" - I don't know what I would do. So much for being anonymous.....
p.s. I love the new pink shoes! Makes me want some - what size do you wear again????
I'm pretty sure I totally wouldn't have wanted to walk out shoeless, but I would have considered it because of peer pressure. Isn't that horrible!? I'm not sure I'm a fan of making it such a peer pressure situation. Either you are led by the Lord or not. You know?
What a challenge to Christians! I am not 100% sure what I would do....I agree with the other comments. I think God is glorified in something like this when the end result is obedience and not just giving in to peer pressure. I would hope in a situation like this one I would be obedient to God if I was convicted by the holy spirit, not just because everyone else was doing it. Great question, Alyssa!
Ok, I'm with Nona....just gonna say it. I'm not sure I like that. Now, I do like the giving to the poor part, but I don't like the pressurized approach. We need to give out of the overflow of our love for Jesus, not because someone is putting us on the spot. I still think the Lord will bless the gift, but it just feels all wonkity to me..kinda like something the Pharisees would have done.
I don't know...I think the same end result (shoes for the poor) could have been achieved in a different way. Just my 2 cents worth and it isn't worth much.
I like the idea of people giving up the shoes off their feet, but I don't know if I would actually do it. I would probably do it if it were not one of my favorites! I know that defeats the idea, but I am being honest.
I also have to say that I LOVE all the pink shoes. SO CUTE!!
Hmm, I haven't gotten a pair of new shoes in a long time that weren't sneakers. So I could pretty easily give any that I wear to church- since most are old and I don't really love any of them. It would give me a reason to buy a new pair! Of course, it would be more Christian to buy someone else who really needs them the nice pair!
Anyway, got your message- glad you liked them!
Love reading the blog. Hope all is well!
You know me--the devil's advocate! I don't like the idea of peer pressure--it seems like "action for show." "Look at me! I gave my favorite shoes away!"
I'm most proud of the things that I do for less fortunate people that I don't advertise to anyone. More quiet acts of kindness.
Plus, I have the fattest feet in the world--my shoes are all stretched out!
so, i don't have time to read all the comments. lol. but i will throw in my opinion. i'm not for it. i don't think it's okay to guilt someone in making a decision like that. there are a lot of shoes i could donate and it would be great if they would have laid out the need and then left it up to people to give, but i think it's not right to make people feel like "less" of a christian if they don't give their shoes that morning. it also leaves the door open for christians to judge one another. so there you have it... my two sense:)
I probably would not have done it, just not about the giving in the peer pressure mass quantity thing. BUT at the same time, who am I to say if it is right or wrong? That is great that many did I am just saying personally I wouldn't have. :)
I haven't checked your blog in a little while (since it is private, it doesn't come up as a new post on my blog page so I forget!) and so here are my backlogged comments:
1. LOVED the broken crayon idea, SUper cute. I may steal that.
2. I loved the honesty in your previous post about the struggles. As moms and military wives, it is nice to know we aren't alone in our feelings and you have more than every right to feel how you do. Many prayers right now sending your way. I honestly don't know how you do it, wish I could be there to help. It is obvious that God knows how strong you are.
3. Glad sunshine has been sent your way, that will hopefully make time go by a little quicker.. and brighten your day.
I probably would not have done it, just not about the giving in the peer pressure mass quantity thing. BUT at the same time, who am I to say if it is right or wrong? That is great that many did I am just saying personally I wouldn't have. :)
I haven't checked your blog in a little while (since it is private, it doesn't come up as a new post on my blog page so I forget!) and so here are my backlogged comments:
1. LOVED the broken crayon idea, SUper cute. I may steal that.
2. I loved the honesty in your previous post about the struggles. As moms and military wives, it is nice to know we aren't alone in our feelings and you have more than every right to feel how you do. Many prayers right now sending your way. I honestly don't know how you do it, wish I could be there to help. It is obvious that God knows how strong you are.
3. Glad sunshine has been sent your way, that will hopefully make time go by a little quicker.. and brighten your day.
I probably would not have done it, just not about the giving in the peer pressure mass quantity thing. BUT at the same time, who am I to say if it is right or wrong? That is great that many did I am just saying personally I wouldn't have. :)
I haven't checked your blog in a little while (since it is private, it doesn't come up as a new post on my blog page so I forget!) and so here are my backlogged comments:
1. LOVED the broken crayon idea, SUper cute. I may steal that.
2. I loved the honesty in your previous post about the struggles. As moms and military wives, it is nice to know we aren't alone in our feelings and you have more than every right to feel how you do. Many prayers right now sending your way. I honestly don't know how you do it, wish I could be there to help. It is obvious that God knows how strong you are.
3. Glad sunshine has been sent your way, that will hopefully make time go by a little quicker.. and brighten your day.
I'm not sure what I would have done. If I felt led by the Lord to do so I probably would have.
Okay, you know I love those shoes. I would totally wear those. As far as giving my shoes up, I probably would have, but it would have been tough for me. I know I am selfish, but I LOVE my shoes!
Post a Comment