Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Truth of the Matter



This picture was taken this past week while I was trying to have Kinsey's two year pictures and Avery's six month pictures taken. It really is a good depiction of our lives at the moment.

We have finally made it to the one month mark since Andy left. It's really weird to think I haven't seen him for a month now. Time is such a funny thing. Depending on the season of life a person is in really depends on how time moves. The old cliche that says, "Time flies when you're having fun," really has a lot of truth to it. I'm torn right now when I mark off another day on my wall calendar before going to bed. Lauren and Chloe have been here visiting for the past two weeks and we've still got another week and a half with them here thankfully. I'm loving the company so much that when I go to mark off a day I'm a little sad their time is passing but also happy time is actually moving while they are here.

People ask how we're doing...I say we're good. That's just easier to say than to spill out details. Of course I'm sad...I'm worn out...I have moments of happy...I get a little stressed. Getting two kids and me together is hard. Planning stuff to do to keep busy and keeping busy everyday is tiring. To top it off Kinsey is turning two and trying out plenty of new (undesired on my part) behaviors of which I'm trying to deter her from. She is our little angel turned strong-willed, independenet daughter. I have always encouraged independence--that is how we have raised her so far. We don't baby her; if she can do it on her own safely, we let her. However, now she's sure finding her "I know what I want" voice. I look in on her after she has gone to sleep and I see this little sleeping beauty and I can't even recall the trying moments from the day that made her need a time-out. Did God give us night for rest or for his sweet grace to fall on us and have a clean start in the morning? Everyday really is a fresh start. This curly-headed child starting at 18 months has had so many things drastically change in her life, most of which she can't even begin to understand. She thinks her "Daddy is on a trip."

So the truth of the matter is THIS IS EXTREMELY HARD! I am taking one day at a time. I'm loving that people are encouraging me with their thoughts, prayers, emails, texts, cards, calls, packages, etc. I am trying to make the most of this. I ignore seeing a family being together and try not to compare. I have chewed every nail off of my fingers and can't stop so now my fingers hurt. I hate weeknights and weekends. I'm really tired of telling myself, "well at least" this or that. Ughh--thank God Andy is in Iraq and not Afghanistan but I wish these weren't thoughts I had to have. Or turning on the news and hearing politicians making military decisions that will affect my husband. And lastly, I really hate that I feel I have to have it all together. Calendar, can you just start to fly???

(Comments are not necessary--not trying to get any pity. I do realize everyone has tough situations; after all, that's part of being an adult. I may just be using this blog to vent this year.)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Venting is a good (and healthy) thing to do; I think it helps to actually say "out loud" what you are feeling instead of trying to hold it in. Yes, I believe God gives us night for rest (not just for your body but also for your mind and heart). Isn't it amazing in this time of trial that you still find time to be "thankful"?

We are thinking of all of you every day! Love, MOM

Amy Rogers said...

SUCH a funny picture! Thanks for sharing. And I hear you about the strong willed 2 year-old. I sometimes wonder if all parents think they have that "strong-willed" child at some point or another! lol. I keep hoping one of these days we will find out Hayden is a totally calm, average, compliant little kid. We'll see! Good luck with Kinsey, hang in there. Hugs to you all.

Leah Adams said...

Alyssa,

I wish I had some profound thing to say that would bring you great comfort. But, alas, I do not. I am praying for you and I know that my Jesus promises to be with you "when you pass through the waters" and "when you walk through the fire". I also know that He promises to not forget you because He has engraved you on the palms of His hands and your walls are continually before Him.

God bless you.

Leah

Erin Mitchler said...

The picture says it all! I love it. And....this is YOUR blog--your kids will get to look back at what you went through with them and I bet it will give them an appreciation for who they are and how they got there. I don't have anything like that from my childhood. After I talked to you the other night, I told Jason about our conversation and he and I got all pity-partied about you guys. We wish we could be RIGHT there to support you and the girls. We miss you and Andy and Kinsey and Avery,whom we are determined to know someday soon!

Neal & Lucretia said...

Hey girlie....Neal, Me and Jr. are praying for You, the girls and Andy. I know time can't fly by fast enough but look how time has flown by already...Kinsey turning TWO...I just can't believe it. Wished we could have been their at her party....Jr. and the girls would have so much fun playing together. I hope that one day they will be able to know each other. Take Care!

Lot's of hugs
Neal, Lucretia & Jr

The Earnhardt Family said...

You are stronger than you know. I am glad that you have moments when things "fly" by. Don't be afraid for things to slow down. That is when you'll be able to hear God speaking to your heart and comforting you in your silence.

Uma and Wil said...

You're doing a great job and making Andy very proud! Thinking of you guys!

Huse Yo Mama said...

I agree with Erin, this is going to be awesome for the girls to see in the future. I'm pretty sure there aren't even PHOTOS of me from the age of 0-5 yrs!!!

I am thinking about you and praying for you all.

PLEASE print and frame that photo! I love that Avery is eating her sock! ha ha!

Sarah said...

All I've got to say is I'm here. Whenever you need me, whatever little thing I can do to help you through this crappy time, I'm here.

Missy said...

I have to say, I LOVE that picture!


You are so strong and so brave and God is there to lift you up, hold you up and wrap His loving arms around you when you need Him.

Praying for you...