Wow! I just watched a re-run of The View where they had a guest who had interviewed young girls and wrote a book titled, Oral Sex is the new goodnight kiss. Luckily, our girls are not NEAR the age of dating or having boyfriends but this is just something that really scares me...raising girls to know what is right and what is wrong. It's not just about being ladylike and having manners anymore. The girls in this book were as young as 11.
Kinsey is doing a lot now that mimics what we do or say. She is picking up on new words everyday, which is very exciting. They are words like mouse and train. What has really been heavy on my heart and what I care the most about right now is being the mom they need as a role model and being someone I hope they will always respect based on my actions. I am far from perfect, but I strive everyday to do things that will be what they need to see.
I cannot completely rid myself of some of the outside influences in my life. I love the fact that within our home I can control what my children see and hear. However, dealing with some things and some people and trying to not let those actions be how I handle situations is sometimes hard. I guess that is what being an adult is all about...learning to deal.
Does anyone else ever think about this that has girls? I know all young children are impressionable. I'm not trying to count out boys but I don't have boys so I don't know what that's like. I just know the life I hope our girls to have and the character traits and self esteem I would love for them to have. Andy and I think about these things as we parent them. We know we can't keep all negative behaviors away from them, but being a girl myself, I know how some behaviors just seem to buzz around being female: gossiping, being catty, snobbish behavior, back stabbing, etc. You know the traits. We all knew or know women like this. Who wants relationships with people like this?! I think a lot of time people are acting this way and don't even know it.
So, any thoughts on raising girls with a pure heart, sweet disposition, and consideration for others? I'm all ears.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
You are already well into the battle simply by being aware and having a desire to raise godly girls. Did you know that Dr. Dobson is writing a companion book to his best seller, Bringing Up Boys? It is entitled, appropriately enough, Bring Up Girls, I think. Keep a look out for it.
Also anything by Vicki Courtney is good with regard to raising girls.
Praying for your family.
Leah
Yes, I think many women worry about their daughters! I know I already do! I pray each night for Audrey to have Jesus' love in her heart and to love others as Jesus loves others. I often pray for her to have honor and integrity when she is grown. One of the first things that hit me after she was born was this: I am going to have a teenage daughter one day!!!
Hey Alyssa!! I certainly have no advice for you. But I wanted to say hi!! It's crazy the things you think about when you become a parent. Hopefully I will get to experience that someday soon!!! :)
Post a Comment