
I remember reading a paper from Barksdale Air Force Base when I was in college. A young man (junior high age, I believe) had written a piece and it was put into the base paper. He wrote about freedom and how ironic the name was. Freedom which includes the word "free" and there is nothing remotely free about freedom. There is a price for us to be free whether it be lives, separation, or simply missing a year of your kids' lives. It also makes me think of my dad telling me, "Nothing is ever free." I've come to learn there is always a price. A lot of people talk about military receiving free health care. Yes we do. We probably wouldn't choose to be military without that; it's a huge perk of this job. However, I still remember when Andy was in Korea and I went to the clinic on base. When I picked up a prescription, I remember asking a volunteer where I should pay. He giggled and said they were free. I thought, "Wow!" Then as I walked to my car, I also thought, "This is not free. There's just not a monetary cost. My husband is in Korea."
Even though there are great sacrificies with this job, there are also great gains! So many of our friends were military or still are. When you live away from your family, your friends become family. We have made such great friends from the assignments Andy has been given. We get to move around and try out new parts of the country in which we probably never would have lived. Andy earned a doctorate. The biggest one right now may just be a guaranteed paycheck. I really could go on and on. We do choose this job and this lifestyle.
Happy Memorial Day!

3 comments:
Dad and I are so proud of the life you and Andy have chosen. Though many days our hearts ache to be closer to you and those precious babies, we know you love your life in the military. Thank you both for making us so proud to be your parents! Love, MOM and DAD
I hope you know how special you all are to me-- you all are the reason we celebrate today. Thank you! Love Aunt Janet
I hear you on all of that! Some days it feels like a bigger price than other days. It always feels worth it for our family for the reasons you outlined. It is nice to stop and think that other people benefit from our sacrifice as well :).
Post a Comment