On MSN today, I found this interesting article....things people have suggested new moms to do. Granted I'm not a completely new mom this go 'round and I'm also very lucky because people stayed away from giving me advice generally unless it was solicited. They just were really sweet and would gaze and smile at Kinsey. I am not a fan of receiving advice unless I ask for it...call me silly or just independent. I like to figure things out for myself and see what works for me and my baby. I always figured all babies are different so why would I want some random woman at Target giving me advice that worked for her child 50 years ago?! Here are the crazy suggestions given in this article:
Smack baby's gums?
"I was told to smack my daughter's gums with a spoon so I could tell if she's teething. I guess you'd hear a click if there are teeth under the gums?"
No car seat?
"My father told me to not worry about a car seat. He said, 'Your mother kept you and your sister on her lap on the ride home!'"
Playing with ice cubes?"My sister's ex-husband felt it was okay to let the baby 'play' with ice cubes. When I pointed out that he could choke on them, he said, 'They'll melt, won't they?'"
Don't swaddle?"I was told by my grandmother that I shouldn't swaddle my newborn because it'd cause her arms to be deformed and that she needed to be able to stretch her muscles."
No cuddling?
"I was told that if you hold a newborn or infant too much, you'll spoil them."
Here's the article thread if you want to read it completely:
http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-life/family-parenting/articletkt.aspx?cp-documentid=18086285
What is the worst parenting advice you were given?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I don't think I committed to memory any of the bad parenting advice, only the good stuff.
My Dad did freak out a LOT when he saw me swaddling Lorelai, but that's about it. He must still be haunted by it, because every time Lorelai throws a temper tantrum, he blames it on swaddling.
by the way - 37 weeks and 6 days - YOWSAS!!! This is pure craziness!
"I am not a fan of receiving advice unless I ask for it...call me silly or just independent."
Girl, you and me both! I do not like unsolicited advice and I don't consider that silly at all...just independent.
I hardly told anyone I wanted to go all natural with Audrey because I knew I would get WAY too much advice! Evan made the mistake of telling his co-workers we wanted to use cloth diapers---holy cow, he got so much "advice" from people who had never even used them!
Wow!
People have waaaay, too much time
on their hands !
Don't they know their jus gonna
crinkle up, wrinkle up, & turn
old, with their miserable selves !
Embrace that new mom with loving
words, encouragement, compliments,
& positiveness.
XXOO,
Aunt helen
During a rough patch when both of my girls were sick and waking up at night, an unnamed relative (ok, it was MIL, shhh) said "maybe you can give them cough syrup or NyQuil or something to make them sleep." Mind you, this is when Caroline was probably 18 months old!
Think I'll just suffer through waking up a night.....
Funny to me now, but was outrageous at the time!
I have also been thinking about you girls. Denial is a great strategy, honestly. Enjoy enjoy enjoy and force yourself to not think about the future ahead. And be assured that God's grace is abundant in these situations. You guys will be in my prayers!
Someone told me that doctors don't know anything and I shouldn't listen to them .... I love the music on your blog!
Post a Comment