Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Veteran's Day

Andy was off for Veteran's Day yesterday and it was great. He worked Monday so having Tuesday off was a nice mid-week break. It was also a good day for me to schedule a dentist appointment (I hope I don't sound too excited because having impressions made was not much fun--that just makes me gag). I talked Andy into a compromise...if he would go eat Pizza Hut with me for lunch then I would make chicken and dumplins for him. He took my offer and we were off for lunch. I totally crave Pizza Hut, not Papa Johns or anywhere else. Andy is not crazy about pizza so this was a very special occasion...not to mention we got to have lunch together during the week.

We get there and start with our first plates at the buffet (we won't go into how many plates the pregnant woman went through) and in comes a mom with her daughter. They also had the buffet and took a seat at a table not too far from us. The mom kept looking at Kinsey and smiling as Kinsey was being so good eating her lunch we brought from home. Then all of a sudden there was a fight breaking out at her table between her and her pre-teen daughter. I am guessing the daughter was a special needs child based on how she was acting and how she appeared. The mom was asking the daughter to get her elbows off the table and that is what I heard start this fight. They were getting louder and louder and as I was trying not to look, it was really hard because they were in my direct line of sight, it was getting worse. Needless to say, not a good situation. The mom kept watching Kinsey (probably wishing her daughter was still one and couldn't talk). I've heard people say you can't wait for children to learn to talk and afterwards you just want to keep them quiet.

All I kept thinking as I watched our little one eat and enjoy her green beans, oranges, and chicken nuggets was "please stay just as sweet as you are right now forever". I know children grow up and go through stages; we're entering into a stage where she can't communicate with us and sometimes that upsets her throwing her into an aggravated fit but that's all normal for her age. I just have hopes for her that she'll always be considerate, loving, and a joy to be around. I guess what parent doesn't want this for their child!

It was a great day and Andy did get his chicken and dumplins for supper and enjoyed every bite. He ate three bowls! Maybe I should make these more often...

3 comments:

The Medcalfs said...

Just curious-- does Andy like his chicken & dumplins with rice like G-Dot cooks? :-)

The Fortenberrys said...

He does and I usually forget to make the rice and then we end up waiting for the rice to cook. How funny! So I'm guessing you make it the same way???

The Medcalfs said...

Yes! With rice and Brandon asked me last time... does everyone eat rice with their chicken and dumplins and I had to tell him no, I think it is a south miss or louisiana choice or just a G-Dot thing!! LOL
As Uncle Danny calls them... Slicks!! Happy Saturday!!