Monday, June 23, 2008

The Results Are In

One afternoon in the spring of 2006, Andy and I had just gotten home from work and we got a phone call that would chart a new path in our lives. He had been accepted into two schools and the Army-Baylor PT Doctoral Program at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, which is ranked 5th in the nation, is the one we chose. We knew the time was getting close that we should be finding out whether he was accepted or not and so we were awaiting the call. After several trips to San Antonio to buy, walk-through, and close on a house, we traveled in a very large U-Haul truck to move to San Antonio. He has successfully passed through numerous semesters and two clinical internships (one of which he became a Daddy), which brings us to today. Today was his oral exams.
Can you even imagine standing in front of a panel being asked questions based on cumulative information from a year and a half of intense coursework and having to answer them on point? I can't imagine! To pass, the students would spend thirty minutes in each of the three rooms: Anatomy, Physiology, and Neuro Science and Anatomy. Within each room would be one clinician and one scientist for a total of three clinicians and three scientists among the three rooms. Students must pass two clinicians and two scientists. The results are in....he passed!!! I am so proud of him. Watching him study over the past few weeks knowing he would rather be playing his guitar or sitting on the back porch cooking out has been rather hard. He will enjoy a little time off before having to start his residency which will last until next April. That will be great for family time.
It has been great being here for this school. Since we are at this stage in his program, I know it's only a matter of time when we will find out our next duty station. It's exciting to think of where we'll go next, but I love it here and all of our friends. I am really going to hate to leave everyone. Andy's class is like a little family. It has been a unique experience being military and coming into a job at the same time as the people you are working with. That generally doesn't happen. The majority of us will leave around the same time and I have my fingers crossed we will be traveling in the direction of some of the people within his class. Thanks to anyone who was praying for him during orals.

6 comments:

Rod and Carolyn McKean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kallie said...

Yay!!! Congrats Andy! We knew that you could do it! Enjoy that much deserved break!YAY YAY YAY!!!
Love and miss you guys

(oh, and that deleted comment was me...you know I'm crazy!)

Huse Yo Mama said...

YAY! Congratulations, Andy!! You pretty much rock!

Sorry I didn't get to the phone today, the property manager was here. Then I forgot to call back.

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Andy- This Aunt Janet is so proud of you!! You are special!!
Of course, I may be a little prejudice!! Love ya!!

Anonymous said...

We are so proud of you Andy! Have a great rest with your girls..... Love, Mom and Dad (Carter)

Anonymous said...

Andy, we are so very proud of you and your accomplishments. Congratulations on passing the oral exams. Now you can enjoy a little time playing with Kinsey and playing your guitar. We loved the picture where she is watching you play your guitar.
Have a great summer with Alyssa and Kinsey!!
Love, Grandma Dot,Aunt Linda and Uncle Danny