
Earlier this year I posted It Could Happen to You. I wrote about something that occured in our home in hopes that by sharing our unfortunate experience, it won't happen to you too. Here's another one which I KNOW I'll never forgot. Today was a pretty tramatic day.
We participate in MOPS/MOPPETS at our church on Thursday mornings. Today when our session was almost over, I went downstairs to the nursery a little early to get the girls because I was told Avery had been crying. I go pick up Avery and then Kinsey and it seemed like everything had gone really well in their classes. Yay! We headed to the elevator...Kinsey on foot and Avery in my arms. We pushed the button and the elevator door opens. As we start to walk inside, Kinsey touches the door just as she goes past it. Well her little hand slid (along with the elevator door) into the wall where the elevator doors go when they open. I put Avery on the floor quickly and immediately started trying to get Kinsey's little hand out. Avery was screaming, Kinsey was definitely screaming, and I was screaming for HELP and trying to get her hand out. The door was definitely stuck but it was still trying to shut and it would make a bump and shut a little more, taking her hand with it. I just kept pulling. I know as parents we are supposed to keep calm...well that went TOTALLY out the window. I was the opposite of calm! I kept pulling and FINALLY it came out. After it was over, Kinsey and I were still scared and we just stood there and cried together. But the good news is her hand was just a little swollen and the swelling has gone down after some ice. We are so lucky we didn't lose her little hand. Those baby fingers and that tiny hand wouldn't have withstood much, and that's probably why I have replayed this episode 10,000 times in my head today. We only take the elevator because I think the stairs are a little steep and with Avery in my arms, it's harder to make it up the stairs. The elevator was the easier option...not anymore. We will become friends with the stairs. What an event!
I just wanted everyone to know because I wouldn't have thought this would ever happen. It was something so innocent. The elevator doors open and you try to get on quickly so the doors don't shut on you. Watch those little hands around and make sure they don't touch an opening door.
I am really hoping and praying for a wonderful Friday.

9 comments:
Thank God you were watching her so carefully and could react that quickly! I hope you have an absolutely wonderful Friday! Love, MOM
Oh how scary!!! So sorry Alyssa! :-(
I pray you will have a much better Friday!
I can't even believe I just read this on your blog. This happened to me and Isabella last year on a Thursday morning before MOPS. She also just touched the openening door and her hand went right in. I am almost in tears right now remembering how aweful those 2 minutes were. Had it not been for another lady who heard Isabella screaming and coming over to yank with me I don't know how it would have gone. I am so sorry that this happened to you and sweet Kinsey. I also am praying for a great Friday for you.
Oh my goodness...how horrible! I would have been in hysterics! Praise Him that all ended well and Kinsey didn't have any permanent damage. I'll think twice about elevators now! (Not that we have ANY in this town! :))
I'm so grateful her hand is better. My sweet neice. I hate that I even have to say "she is lucky." No one should have to be lucky to survive these things, they just shouldn't occur.
I still cannot believe this even happened. Like Kallie, we don't have many elevators here either...but I will think twice about it next time.
Give those sweet fingers kisses from us, please.
OMG! I can't believe that happened...I hope Kinsey's little hand is doing much better today. Give her a hug and kiss from Uncle Neal, Aunt Lucretia and NJ. Hope ya'll are having a GREAT FRIDAY!
Miss Ya'll
Scary!! I also am so glad that Kinsey's hand is ok. hugs from me!
what a nightmare! i'm glad you're all ok, it sounded traumatic for everyone. i hope y'all have an uneventful friday! love ya and miss ya too
That would've been so scary!!! I don't even like picturing it in my mind, and I wasn't even there!!!!! Her poor sweet little hand! It's a good thing you reacted so quickly and I'm glad nothing was broken!!!! Miss you guys!
Post a Comment